known under the name of flag fleurdelized
January 21 is the day of the flag
one holds up it with pride as soon as the opportunity arises, a very
small number of individuals knows the origins of the
Québécois flag. It should first of all be known that the
flower of lily forms part of the inheritance of several people. Already
3000 years ago, it decorated grinds fabrics found in India, in Egypt,
in Greece and Gaule. Certain heraldists believe that the flower of lily
is probably a flower of broom or lotus; others claim that it is acted
in fact of a stylized representation of the male genital apparatus! Of
aucuns get along now for saying that the flower of lily is a flower of
iris, flower which one found in abundance with the accesses of the
Lily, a Belgian river.
Gradually, the flower of lily is used as royal symbol as of the year
1000. Louis VII (1137-1180) was the first to introduce the lily on the
French royal banners. It was however necessary to wait a little later
so that the lily becomes the "flower of the king".
With the Middle Ages, it was impossible to recognize the soldiers under
their imposing implements of war. This is why each lord was to obtain
an emblem and to make it engrave on the blazon of his riders and
infantrymen. King Philippe Auguste then decided to choose the flower of
lily, which consequently became the royal flower.
Three centuries later, that is to say on July 24, 1534, Jacques Cartier
planted a cross with Gaspé. If the history of the cross is well
known to us, one too often omits to mention that this cross was
surmounted by one ecu where three flowers of lily symbolizing appeared
the king of France. However, the French ships rather raised a square
house blue or red, without flower of lily and decorated of a white
cross. Then about 1755, when 4500 French soldiers are dispatched in
Louisbourg and Quebec, the flags become multicoloured. Certain
regiments use the yellow and the green on their houses, whereas others
choose the mauve, the black or the brown one. Unfortunately, the
English conquest marks the end of the flags and houses French in
Between 1763 and 1832, the British Union Jack floats everywhere in the
"province of Quebec". It 1832 that one sees for the first time the
green Tricolour, white and red is made famous for the rebellions of
1837-1838. Adopted by the St-Jean-Baptist Company of Montreal, the
tricolour one gains the popular favour and one finds it soon in all the
political demonstrations. This "Canadian" flag floats during the combat
of Saint-Denis, Saint-Charles and Saint-Eustache. It is besides what
carries out to its abandonment, a few years later: one gives a
revolutionary character on this flag.
It is on June 24 1848 which one saw for the first time the direct
ancestor of the Québécois flag. The flowers of lily,
absent of the flags for one century, had been reproduced on the four
corners of an enormous banner dating from the battle of Chime. It is
Louis-in-Gonzague Baillargé, a lawyer of Quebec, which deployed
this relic at the time of the procession of the St-Jean-Baptist of
1848. The "banner of Chime" was in fact the blazon of the marquis de
Beauharnois, governor general of 1726 to 1747.
After Baillargé had arranged its banner, it is tricolour French
who became the most popular flag in Quebec. The Crimean War, which
linked France and England against Russia, pushed the english-speaking
of Quebec to be made float the French flag at the sides of the Union Jack.
(Union Jack flagof the United Kingdom created into 1603)
It will however be necessary to still wait a half-century to see the
first truly Québécois flag. One owes it in Elphège
Filiatrault, priest of Saint-Jude, who made itself a flag that it calls
the "Crowned-Cur Chime". This flag resembles the current
Québécois flag, with the difference that a Sacred Heart
appears there in full center and that the four flowers of lily point
towards the center. Thus, between 1903 and 1948, this flag will float a
little everywhere in Quebec while undergoing light transformations
(beaver replacing the Sacred Heart).
Whereas the St-Jean-Baptist Company of Montreal carries out a national
campaign, between 1939 and 1947, to make adopt fleurdelized, the
Canadian Parliament adopts, in 1945, a modified version of Red Ensign
of the British navy. This choice, disputed in Quebec, pushes the
independent deputy Rene Chaloult to ask for the adoption of a "truly
Québécois flag". Duplessis then suggested in Chaloult
placing a beaver or a sheet of maple in the medium of fleurdelized.
Chaloult, after having consulted the abbot Lionel Groulx, proposed in
Duplessis anything to put at the center and to rectify the four flowers
of lilies, which pointed towards the center. Indeed, the driving
position is much in conformity with the laws of the heraldic one.
January 21, 1948, Duplessis announces in Chaloult that fleurdelized
will float at 3 p.m. on the central lathe of the Parliament. The
proposal to rectify the flowers of lily was accepted by Duplessis, this
one adding even that that was done "to indicate the value of our
traditions and the force of our convictions" Two years later, the law
of the official flag is adopted by the legislative Parliament.
Fleurdelized thus becomes the official flag of Quebec.
Since Egypt and Gaule, the flower of lily will have crossed five
millenia before becoming the emblem of our people. After a as long
tour, it would be a pity well as our splendid flag remains only one